True-up now with three easy options!
1. Submit online with a BWC account and potentially save money through the GoGreen discount*
2. By phone at (800) 644-6292
3. In-person at a BWC customer service office
What to Expect I Penalty Information I BWC True-Up Resources
The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) transitioned its payroll and premium reporting from a retrospective to prospective cycle starting with the 7/1/2015-6/30/2016 payroll rating period. Throughout the rating year, you have been making premium installments based on estimated payroll. Employers are required to reconcile their actual payroll for the prior policy year and reconcile any differences in premium paid. Even if your payroll for the year matches the estimate or you had zero payroll, you still must complete a true-up report. The first ever payroll true-up reports were due to BWC no later than Aug. 15, 2016.
What to Expect
Private employers should have received a notice from BWC in early July with instructions for completing the true-up. Employers must submit actual payroll online with a BWC account, by phone at (800) 644- 6292 or in person at a BWC customer service office. Online true-up and payment could save you money as eligible employers will qualify for a 1-percent premium rebate up to a $2,000 maximum rebate.*
Upon reporting payroll, if the total installments made throughout the year are less than actual premium due, you will need to submit payment for the additional amount. If the total installments paid are more than the actual premium due, BWC will credit your account and either apply the balance to your next installment or issue a refund. This includes paying any additional premium due. Failure to report and pay timely will result in severe penalties.
Employers that fail to complete the true-up process will:
1. Lose any rebates due from 2015 program participation
2. Be removed from all 2016 discount and rebate programs (the employer will be removed from the program for the entire year, the employer will be re-rated removing the discount and the remainder of the 2016 installments will be adjusted to account for the rate increase)
3. Become ineligible to participate in any 2017 discount and rebate programs (until all outstanding payroll true-ups are completed)
BWC True-Up Resources:
Private Employer Resources webpage
Private employer FAQ
Payroll true-up instructions
*To be eligible for the Go Green discount, employers must have paid all of their installment payments online and by the due date, and must complete the payroll true-up online by the 8/15/2016 due date. The Go Green discount will be applied automatically during the online true-up process.